a) DISRUPTION ATTRIBUTABLE TO TRENORD OR DUE TO A PUBLIC ORDER
Refunds may be requested for unused TICKETS (even if already validated) or PASSES displaying Trenord's VAT number, if a journey has not run for reasons that can be attributed to Trenord or due to a public order. For validated tickets, Trenord staff must be informed of the non-use of the ticket in order to obtain a refund. For stations with no ticket desk or where the ticket desk is closed, the request must be made in writing to the TRENORD Refunds Office within 72 hours of the event that affected the journey, attaching the original travel document.
FULL refund (even if the ticket has already been validated, subject to a note by a member of TRENORD staff) in cases of:
- Train cancellation;
- Delay of more than 60 minutes;
- Strike (the request should be made within 48 hours);
- Public order;
- No first class carriages available;
- Lack of provision for bicycle transportation (subject to a note by a member
of Trenord personnel);
- Lack of provision for disabled passengers or those with reduced mobility
(subject to a note by a member of Trenord personnel);
- Changes to tariffs (three months before the expiry date of the travel
PARTIAL refund (subject to a note by a member of Trenord personnel) in cases of:
- Partial use of route;
- Travel in a lower class of carriage due to the absence of the higher class as
per the official timetable.
FULL refund of the WEEKLY PASS (not validated or prior to the date of commencement of validity) in cases of disruption to the line for a duration equal to the pass duration without provision of a substitute service;
FULL refund (subject to the return of the pass during the disruption) of the MONTHLY or ANNUAL PASS** proportionate to the period in which the pass was not used in cases of disruption to the line for a duration of more than 10 days without provision
of a substitute service.
** MONTHLY PASS refund calculations will be based on 1/30th of the pass price per valid day remaining from the day of disruption; ANNUAL PASS refunds will be calculated based on 1/12th of the pass price per full month not used.
b) PASSENGER CANCELLATION
It is possible to request the refund of a standard TICKET or PASS that has not been used, displaying Trenord's VAT number, in the case of failure to travel due to passenger cancellation. In this case, 10% of the price of the travel document will be retained by the company. If the passenger decides to use the refund for the purchase of another travel document, no deduction will apply.
In the case of changes to tariffs, the refund of the travel document that can no longer be used will be equal to 100% of the tariff or remaining portion in the case of a book of tickets, and is guaranteed for a period of three months from the date of expiry of the travel documents. Alternatively, the passenger may purchase a different travel document.
UNUSED TICKET or PASS refund (not validated or prior to the date of commencement of validity):
The ticket, or weekly/monthly pass, will be reimbursed at 90% of the sale price or 100% in the case of purchase of another travel document.
In the case of a book of multi-journey tickets, the percentage applies to the remaining portion, or the difference between the sale price and the normal price for one or more standard tickets for the same route as the book of tickets, corresponding to the number of trips already used.
In the case of supplements for pets or bicycles, refunds can be made on the condition that these tickets are presented with the passenger's travel documents.
In the case of print@home tickets, the refund must be requested online and within 72 hours of the commencement of validity.
Partially used MONTHLY/ANNUAL PASS:
a) MONTHLY PASS (with 10% deduction) in cases of:
- Illness for more than 15 consecutive days (with a doctor's certificate);
- Extraordinary events that prevent the use of the service for more than 15 consecutive days (with official documentation).
b) ANNUAL PASS (the difference between the sale price and the normal price for the months used).
Refunds for PASSES BOUGHT IN ERROR (within two days of purchase):
The refund of passes bought in error are refunded in full in cases of:
- Purchase of two passes in the same name that are valid for the same connection and in the same period (in such cases the refund will be provided for the pass with the shortest route in kilometres);
- Erroneous issue of the pass by a TRENORD automatic self-service ticket machine;
- Erroneous issue of the pass by an authorised seller.
Refund for a JOURNEY IN A LOWER CLASS OF CARRIAGE:
The passenger has no right to a refund if they choose to travel in a lower class.
c) COMPENSATION FOR DELAY
Passengers can request compensation from TRENORD in cases of delays either at the start of their journey or on arrival.
There is no compensation for sums of less than €4. Reimbursement of the ticket price will be made within a month of the request.
Compensation for PASS HOLDERS
Passengers who suffer recurrent delays and/or cancellations during the validity period of their pass, even if not the fault of Trenord (force majeure), can request compensation as follows:
|Type of Pass||No. of agreed journeys||Unit compensation amount||Reimbursement limit||25% reimbursement||50% reimbursement|
|Monthly||60||€ (pass cost)/60||12 trains per month||25% * €/60||50% * €/60|
|Weekly||14||€ (pass cost)/14||3 trains per week||25% * €/14||50% * €/14|
For passengers with annual passes the same rules apply as for the monthly pass. Compensation will be provided for each month in which cancellation or delays occurred and for which compensation requests are made.
There is no compensation for sums of less than €4. Compensation cannot be combined with any Bonuses provided for in the Service Contract with the Lombardy Region.
d) THEFT, LOSS, DAMAGE
In the case of theft, loss or damage of paper passes, with the exception of annual passes, there is no refund available. If the pass is stored on an electronic card, this can be loaded onto a new Trenord card, subject to the appropriate checks. In cases of theft, loss or damage of the receipt for the top-up of the pass stored on the card, please contact Trenord Customer Care.
- Weekly and monthly paper passes: no refund;
- Annual paper Trenord passes or annual/three-monthly 'Io Viaggio Ovunque in Lombardia' passes: passengers can request a duplicate pass (subject to a fee) for the remaining period of use, preferably at the ticket desk where the original document was issued. No refund will be made for travel documents bought in the interim period;
- Passes on electronic ITINERO/IO VIAGGIO cards: subject to the appropriate checks by Trenord, passengers can request a new card at Customer Care My Link Points or at ticket desks, which will issue a duplicate with the remainder of the valid pass. In the case of theft or loss, this is subject to a fee, whereas in case of malfunction of the card, this will be free of charge. There are no refunds for travel permits purchased in the interim period. In case of theft, the request for a new card must be accompanied by a public authority report. In other cases, the request for a new card must be accompanied by a written explanation;
- Travel documents on an anonymous electronic MY LINK card: no refund;
- Receipt for top-ups: a free copy can be requested at Customer Care My Link Points.
e) EXCLUSION FROM REFUND
Some types of tickets and passes are non-refundable:
- Paper tickets and passes (with the exception of annual passes) which are declared lost, damaged or stolen;
- Tickets and passes sold at discount rates;
- Tickets and passes sold at trans-regional rates;
- Single tickets and books of tickets for Malpensa Express (in the case of the passenger's own personal reasons);
- Tickets and passes issued by other operators that are valid on Trenord services;
- Single tickets and books of tickets that have been loaded onto anonymous MY LINK CARDS.
HOW TO REQUEST A REFUND
La Requests for refunds or compensation can be made by filling in the appropriate form [Italian only], enclosing the original travel document. The request can be sent to:
- - Trenord ticket offices;
- - Customer Care My Link Points at Milano Cadorna, Milano Porta Garibaldi;
- - By post to "Trenord - Ufficio Rimborsi - c/o Stazione Cadorna Pal. Movimento P.le Cadorna 20123 Milano"
[in this case a copy of an identity document must be provided];
- - Online [only for purchases made at the e-Store or on the Trenord APP; the order number and PNR must be provided].
TRENORD will send a response regarding the refund/compensation claim to the passenger within 30 days which will include methods of payment of any refund to be made.